- What is an electrical machine?
Definition and types of 'electrical machine'.
- Fleming's left hand rule and right hand rule
To determine the direction of motion in motors or direction of current in generators.
- Faraday's law and Lenz's law
Laws of electromagnetic induction.
- Maxwell's right hand grip rule
Direction of magnetic field around a straight current carrying conductor.
- Classification of DC machines
Different types of DC generators and DC motors.
- DC Generators
Construction and working of a DC generator.
- Armature winding
Lap winding, wave winding and other related terms.
- Armature reaction
Armature reaction in DC machines and it's adverse effects.
- EMF and Torque equation
EMF equation of a DC generator and torque equation of a DC motor.
- Characteristics of DC generators
Internal (E/Ia), external (V/IL) and open circuit characteristics.
- Losses in a DC machine
Copper losses, iron losses (core losses), mechanical losses, power flow diagram.
- Working of a DC motor
How does a DC motor work?
- Characteristics of DC motors
Torque vs. armature current, speed vs. armature current and speed vs. torque characteristics.
- Starting methods of a DC motor
3 point starter, 4 point starter and series motor starter.
- Speed control of a DC motor
Various methods for controlling speed of a DC motor.
- Electric braking of DC motors
Different methods of electric braking of dc motors.
- Parallel operation of shunt generators
Operating 2 dc shunt generators in parallel.
- PMDC motor
Permanent magnet DC motors.
- BLDC motor
Construction and working of brushless dc motors.
- Induction motor
Working principle and types of induction motor.
- Three phase induction motor
Construction, working and types.
- Rotating magnetic field
Production of rotating magnetic field (rmf).
- Torque equation of 3 phase IM
Starting torque and running torque, condition of maximum torque.
- Starting of 3 phase IM
Using primary resistors, auto transformers and star-delta starters.
- Speed control of induction motor
Various speed control methods of induction motors.
- Types of squirrel cage motor
Class A, B, C, D, E and F.
- Double squirrel cage motor
Construction and working of double squirrel cage motor.
- Crawling and cogging
Crawling and cogging in squirrel cage induction motor.
- Single phase motor
Working principle of single phase induction motor. Why single phase IM is not self-starting?
- AC synchronous generator (alternator)
Construction and working of alternator.
- Synchronization of an alternator
Connecting an alternator into grid.
- Induction generator
How does an induction generator work?
- Synchronous generator vs. induction generator
Difference between synchronous generator and induction generator.
- Synchronous motor
Construction and working of a synchronous motor.
- Synchronous motor vs. induction motor
Difference between synchronous motor and induction motor.
- Salient pole vs. non-salient pole rotor
Comparison between salient pole rotor and non-salient pole rotor.
Construction, working and types of transformers.
- Ideal transformer
Characteristics of an ideal transformer.
- EMF equation and voltage transformation ratio
EMF equation of a transformer and voltage transformation ratio.
- Transformer with resistance and leakage reactance
Magnetic leakage and practical transformer with resistance and leakage reactance.
- Transformer losses and efficiency
Copper losses, core losses (iron losses).
- Equivalent circuit
Finding equivalent circuit of a transformer.
- Open circuit and short circuit test on transformer
Open circuit (OC) and short circuit (SC) test on a transformer.
- Sumpner's or back to back test
Sumpner's test or back to back test on a transformer.
- Auto transformer
How doen an auto transformer work?
- Three phase transformer
Working and types of three phase transfomers.
- 3 phase transformer connections
Star-star, star-delta and such different configurations.
- CT and PT
Current transformer (CT) and Potential transformer (PT)
- Transformer cooling
Different cooling methods of transformers.
- Parallel operation of transformers
Necessity and conditions for parallel operation.
- Buchholz relay
Working of buchholz relay and it's advantages.
- Brief introduction to circuits
Series parallel circuits, voltage and current, Ohm's law, integrated circuits
- Basics of power electronics
Diodes, GTO, transistors etc.
- Stepper motor
How does a stepper motor work?
- Troubleshooter's guide to motor overload
Some of the key areas that could be responsible for motor overloads and their remedies.
- Universal motor
Construction and working of a universal motor.
- Servo motor
How does a servo motor work?
- Safety tips for portable generators
Safety tips while using portable generators.
- 6 different types of jobs for electrical engineers
What are different job profiles for electrical engineers?
- Electric actuators
Benifits of electrical actuators.