- Power plant
How electricity is generated in power plants?
- Thermal power plant
Sometimes also called as a 'Steam power staion'.
- Nuclear power station
Heat energy is generated by a nuclear reaction called as nuclear fission.
- Hydroelectric power plant
Uses potential energy of the water stored in a large reservoir.
- Diesel power generator
Uses combination of a diesel engine and an electric generator.
- Comparison of power plants
Different types of power plants compared on the basis of various factors.
- Solar power system
How electricity is generated from power of the sun?
- The future of solar energy in India
Solar energy has emerged as the most viable and environment-friendly option for India.
- Wind energy
Another clean and green way of generating electricity.
- Geothermal energy
Using geothermal energy (heat) for generating electric power.
- Transmission system
How electric power is transmitted from generating station to load centers.
- Sag in transmission lines
Calculation of sag in overhead transmission lines.
- Electrical power grid
An interconnected network that delivers the generated power to the consumers.
- HVDC vs. HVAC
Comparison of HVAC and HVDC transmission systems.
- String efficiency
Potential distribution over a suspension insulator string and string efficiency.
- Underground cables
Construction and classification of underground cables.
- Types of underground cables
Detailed classification of underground cables.
- Laying of underground cables
Different methods of underground cables installation.
- Power factor
What exactly is the Power factor?
- Power factor correction
Causes of low power factor and methods to improve it.
- Variable loads on power system
Load curves, connected load, average load, maximum demad etc.
- Economics of power generation - part 1
Cost of electrical energy and formulae for determining it.
- Economics of power generation - part 2
Methods for calculating annual depreciation costs.
- Electricity tariff
Tariff is the rate at which the consumers are charged for using electricity.
- Economic choice of transmission voltage
How to choose an economical transmission voltage?
- Economic choice of Conductor size
Cost of a conductor also depends on it's cross-sectional diameter.
- Types of electrical loads
Electrical loads can be classified according to various different factors.
- Types of Overhead conductors
AAC, AAAC, ACSR, ACAR - Aluminium has been widely adopted as the material for overhead conductors.
- Corona discharge
What is corona effect in transmission line? How to reduce it?
- Corona rings and grading rings
How corona rings work and what are grading rings.
- Skin effect and proximity effect
What is skin effect? What is proximity effect?
- Insulators used in overhead power lines
Pin, suspension, strain and shackle type insulators.
- Electrical insulators - materials and types
Insulating materials and their properties. Post, glass, polymer, long-rod and stay insulators.
- Testing of overhead line insulators
Flashover tests, performance tests and routine tests.